In order to increase the efficiency and speed up the processing of your inventory uploads to ChannelAdvisor we suggest adhering to the best practices outlined below.
For a reference of how the data is processed once it reaches ChannelAdvisor's servers, view the Inventory Communication Processing and Frequency page.
Best Practices for Inventory Uploads
Type of Update
|Full Product Upload||Once per Week||FTP|
|Changed Product Data||1-2x per Day||FTP|
|Changed Quantity||15-30 minutes||API|
Ideal Timing Guidelines
- Send your file in the early morning (1AM - 6AM ET)
- Space multiple file uploads over several hours
- Variability in upload time is normal, due to system load and connection speed.
- Processing Frequency - Once or twice a day for product data, hourly for price changes, and every 15-30 minutes to update stock levels.
- Best Practice - When your intention is to update inventory data that has changed, send us a file that contains ONLY the information that has changed since your last upload. This gives us the smallest amount of data to 'churn' through and yields the fastest uploads.
Full Catalog Updates
- Processing Frequency - Once per week, just in case something is left out in the Product Data changes you should send daily.
- Best Practice - When your intention is to send us your full catalog with all information, send us data in the same format every time. We do 'change' detection on certain groups of fields and skip processing on data that hasn't changed as long as the format and order of fields hasn't changed. This will yield the fastest uploads. One large product data file is preferred to multiple smaller files.
- Processing Frequency - 15-30 minutes
- Best Practice - When your intention is to only update your quantity, send us a file that contains ONLY the following fields:
(These 'quantity only' files go to a special 'fast' queue and do not affect our change detection.)
- Quantity Update Type
- Inventory Number (SKU).
- Best Practice - Only submit data that that needs to be modified. Try to limit calls to less than 10,000 per hour.
Things to Know
- Avoid sending us full catalogs in more than 1 format - For example, do not send us a full catalog for descriptions, and a separate full catalog for price information. Ensure fields occur in the same order as previous files.
- Avoid frequent full catalog updates - Do not send us full catalog updates every hour. This is going to end up queuing your files and will end up in your data becoming stale.
- Keep business rules simple - Complex business rules are hard to debug and slow down upload performance.
- If you need to ensure that one file completes before another one, we can enable FIFO support for your account.
- Do not send relationship information - Do not send relationship information unless you are making changes. If you omit relationship information, we can stream the upload. If you submit relationship information, we can not process children until the parents are completely finished.
- For non-English content using special characters - In order to avoid issues with special characters when uploading inventory data into ChannelAdvisor, we recommend the file be encoded in UTF-8 before upload. This is easily accomplished by saving the file and selecting the option to save a UTF-8.