These steps will walk you through the setup process for entering your eBay inventory. We recommend reviewing all the steps before beginning the process.
Download our "EBay Your Way" one pager:
When setting up eBay QuickStart with ChannelAdvisor you have three options:
- Self-Guided Launch – Completed by yourself using the information found in the steps of this Getting Started Guide.
- eBay Launch Assistance Service – A paid service offered by ChannelAdvisor that allows for you to stay in contact via email with and get a limited number of telephone trainings from a dedicated ChannelAdvisor Implementation Specialist to help you get setup on eBay quicker and easier. See Sales for more information about this service.
- eBay Launch Plus Service – A paid service offered by ChannelAdvisor that allows for you to stay in contact via email with and get a limited number of telephone trainings from a dedicated ChannelAdvisor Implementation Specialist, but also includes additional setup elements and assistance. See Sales for more information about this service.
NOTE: The timelines for eBay Launch Assistence and Plus Services are referring at some point to Posting Templates, Ads and Schedules. Please neglect those steps. When using eBay QuickStart the setup process is streamlined to the essential needs and you won't need to deal with these types of functionality.
Before beginning the guided eBay launch process, you will need to complete the following steps or be familiar with this information:
- Managing Inventory
- Creating Your eBay Seller Account
- Determining eBay Categories
- Review Category Specific Data that eBay requires
Before listing your products on the eBay Marketplace it is important to be aware of eBay's listing requirements. Located within your eBay Seller Account is an extensive series of documents that explain all of the different data requirements for products in all of the various eBay categories. Familiarizing yourself with these pages and the documents located here is a fundamental step to listing successfully on eBay.
eBay Item Specifics
eBay allows you to send additional pieces of information about the products listed on the site that are referred to as eBay Item Specifics . These additional fields of data are used by the eBay system to identify characteristics about specific items and allow potential buyers to filter based on that data using the search results. Some item specifics are required to list in certain categories, so when you are creating your inventory you will want to be sure that you are including at the very least the data points that are required by eBay. You will also want to consider sending as many item specifics as possible since these are promoted to the shoppers in the search results and the individual item pages and will ultimately help you sell your products.
View the Working with eBay Item Specifics - QuickStart page for details
- Adding Item Specifics to Inventory – If you do not currently have data for certain items specifics you may need to add a new attribute to your inventory and populate that attribute with the values that eBay accepts.
View the Using Inventory Attributes page for details.
- Map Item Specifics in the eBay Template – By selecting the categories in which you intend to list (via the eBay Settings page), the mapping template will display the relevant Item Specifics for each category. You can then map those values to fields in your inventory or use business rules and lookup lists to populate these values.
Variation listings allow you to provide all of the similar items in a single eBay Fixed Price listing to make it easier for the buyer to find the size, color, or other option that they would like to purchase. Without variation listings, each of the options must be submitted independently, creating a much more complicated landscape for the buyer to navigate when searching for an item. With variation listings, the buyer finds the product and then has the complete selection of all available options for that item. They can select the item directly instead of requiring additional searches and navigation to find the specific item they desire.
View the Using Variation Listings on eBay page for details.
Configure Marketplace Settings
Now that you have created your eBay Account, have reviewed eBay’s category requirements and have prepared your inventory according to these requirements, it is time to complete eBay Settings.
This will set the foundation for your account integration with eBay. Begin by navigating to your Marketplaces > eBay > Settings view. You need to enter account credentials, select eBay categories you want to sell to and configure other settings that define how ChannelAdvisor interacts with eBay on your behalf. View the eBay Settings (QuickStart) page for details.
If you need to setup eBay Business Policies, you'll find detailed info on the eBay Business Policies Overview page.
List Your Products
Once you have completed the Setup Guide, you will need to map the Marketplace Template in ChannelAdvisor. ChannelAdvisor Product Mapping Templates are used to define the product data that will be sent to the Marketplace. The template will contain all the fields accepted by the Marketplace and will allow you to specify what inventory information should be sent for each product listing.
See Customizing Templates for further details.
The backbone of ChannelAdvisor's integration with Marketplaces is our ability to regularly send and receive information on your behalf. We will update data and remove listings based on information you add to or remove from your ChannelAdvisor inventory.
Please Note: When getting started, It is recommended to only add the label to a small subset of your inventory at first (about 20 SKUs). When you have successfully listed those items then you can continue adding the label to additional items.This practice allows you to more easily manage and troubleshoot any listing errors or other issues that may occur.
Manage Your Listings
Once you have activated your eBay integration, you should begin seeing activity almost immediately. You may notice that some of your products have not listed properly or have not listed at all. It will be crucial that you consistently manage your eBay account to monitor these issues. ChannelAdvisor provides you with a dashboard that assists you with this effort. The eBay Product Overview page is a marketplace-specific dashboard that provides you with an overview of the current status of all your products assigned to eBay.
You can access this page via the menu from Marketplaces > eBay > Products > Overview.
If you encounter listing errors please visit the Common eBay Errors page for suggested error resolutions.