1) The Look
The look and feel of the new checkout is different, more streamlined, and has more prominent eBay-branding.
In old checkout, shipping promotions were not displayed until the final page of checkout.
In new checkout, promotional shipping rate is displayed right away.
3) Rate Inheritance
In old checkout, N/A caused the system to skip over that level and look to the next level up for shipping rates.
In new checkout, N/A will block rates for that carrier. The system will not move up to the next level for rates.
4) Handling Inheritance
In old checkout, handling rates could come from different levels than shipping rates.
In new checkout, handling rates go hand-in-hand with shipping rates and must come from the same level.
5) UPS - 3rd Party Calculator
In old checkout, the calculator uses the daily pickup rate (invoice rate).
In new checkout, the calculator uses the drop off at shipper rate (retail rate).
The retail rate will be higher than the invoice rate.
6) Free Shipping if Buy it Now Box at Item level
In old checkout, if this box is checked and there are no item rates, free shipping is not returned even if the item is BIN.
In new checkout, if this box is checked and there are no item rates, free shipping is still returned.
In old checkout, TBD allowed the buyer to complete checkout and make payment with no shipping rate.
In new checkout, TBD prevents the checkout from being completed.
- The new checkout is much more sensitive to how addresses are entered. Zip codes will need to be accurate or else the buyer could get an error.
- Rates will not be returned when a PO Box address is used, and there are no non-USPS carriers enabled. However, addresses for rural route boxes and other boxes where non-USPS carriers can ship are also being suppressed in the new checkout. (Further improvement is planned to prevent this.)
- If the Free Shipping if BIN box is checked at inventory level, and the item is not BIN, no rate is returned. (Further improvement is planned to prevent this.)